[pp.int.general] Purpose of copyright

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sun Aug 24 19:53:15 CEST 2008

Calm down! My statement was only about a different historical background, leading to a different justification. US Copyright law is based on the following constitution provision: "Section 8, Clause 8: To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries; "
So the "protection" of the individual is only a means for a social purpose.

Does it work that way? No, of course it doesn't. Rent seeking record companies and publishers only want to maximise profits, and they sell their ideas to politicians in a manner the proverbial used car salesman would be ashamed of. If they clim constitutional rights, it may be the property right - which is a fallacy in this context.

In the US context, reference to the Constitution is definitely important. Unfortunately, there is no similar basis in the continental European "droit d'auteur" tradition. Here the argument may be that "droit d'auteur" is intended primarily to serve the interests of the actual authors (as becomes apparent e.g. from the existence of moral rights next to exploitation rights, something unknown in US copyright!), rather than publishers etc.

In sum, in both cases there is reason to argue that the undue emphasis on commercial exploitation is unjustified,for different reasons. (Economists, however honest, can only cope with commercial exploitation. Don't believe them!)

Also, my message was meant as a "caveat" that (traditional) US copyright justification arguments and EU author's right justification arguments are not always compatible.

Groeten, Grüße, Regards, Cordialement, Hälsningar, Ciao, Saygilar, Üdvözlettel, Pozdrowienia, Kumusta, Adios, Oan't sjen, Ave, Doei, Yassou, Yoroshiku, Slán, Vinarliga, Kær Kveðja
>>> REINIER B. BAKELS PhD LL.M. MSc
private: Johan Willem Frisostraat 149, 2713 CC Zoetermeer, The Netherlands telephone: +31 79 316 3126, GSM ("Handy") +31 6 4988 6490,  fax +31 79 316 7221