[pp.int.general] PP.se end-November

Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) rick at piratpartiet.se
Fri Dec 5 14:21:05 CET 2008

I also posted this at english.rickfalkvinge.se, but I believe some
heartbeats about what's going on could be in order, esp. with less than
6 months until the poll stations open.

November has been an intensive month. Sweden is discussing a new piece
of proposed legislation that would let copyright monopoly holders find
the identity of an Internet subscriber on suspicion of file sharing;
this would give copyright monopolists more far-reaching powers of
privacy invasion than the Swedish Police.

This is the Swedish implementation of the 2004/48/EC directive, also
known as IPRED. However, giving copyright holders more far-reaching
powers than the Police is most decidedly *not* part of the directive.

As a result, we have been in media and in blogs everywhere. The debate
has been running high. With debate comes attention, with attention come
the members.

I proclaimed November 5 as “come out as a pirate” day; about a dozen
prominent bloggers came out as open supporters of the Pirate Party.
Several posted dark grey banners on their blogs saying “I was one of the
34,918 people who voted for the Pirate Party in 2006.” Several others
responded by posting pirate purple banners saying “I didn’t vote pirate
in 2006. I plan to correct that mistake in 2009 and 2010.”

The month ended with the world’s largest LAN, DreamHack. We recruited
629 new members over the three-day LAN party.

We still don’t register separately on the polls. That’s the single most
disturbing obstacle at this point.

      Graphics

A comparative analysis of mentions on blogs show that, while we totally
dominate the linkage, we are far from dominating the unlinked talkage.
S-v-mp had a peak at the start of October that came from a quarrel
between them. (The Y axis number is mentions per week.) However, an
increasing trend is visible for pp mentions since summer.

      Numbers

New recruits during November: *1,103*

Blog mentions: *302*

Blog dominance in top-50 linked blogs: *26.2%*

Oldemedia mentions: *40*