[pp.int.general] Pirate Party of the United States is starting to collect signatures

Glenn Kerbein glenn.kerbein at pirate-party.us
Thu Dec 18 20:24:45 CET 2008

Well, I must've mistyped then. I was thinking of votes, but meant to
type "signatures". Nevertheless, the Secretary of State set forth these
standards:
"To qualify a new political party by registration requires that 88,991
persons (one percent) complete an affidavit of registration, on which
they have written in the proposed party name as the party they affiliate
with. These affidavits of registration must be completed and mailed in
by the 154th day before the February 5, 2008 or June 3, 2008 primary
election dates.

To qualify a new political party by petition requires that 889,906
persons (ten percent) sign a petition seeking the inclusion of the
proposed party in the party nominating process at either the February 5,
2008 or June 3, 2008 primary elections. These petitions must be filed
with the several counties by the proponent in such time that the
counties verify the signatures and certify the counts to the Secretary
of State who certifies the proposed party's qualification not later than
the 135th day before the February 5, 2008 or June 3, 2008 primary
election dates."

Granted, however, that their website states that you need to qualify
before the 2008 elections, which already occurred.
Source: http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_t.htm

Andrew Norton wrote:
> Anton Tamminen wrote:
>> Glenn Kerbein wrote:
>>> California will be a tough cookie to crack for many reasons. Namely, the
>>> Secretary of State for California states that a party must collect at
>>> least 5,000 votes, being that it is such a large state.
>>>
>> To engage myself in the age-old Finnish tradition of competing in
>> degrees of misery, I shall mention that we in Finland also need to
>> collect 5000 signatures. Californias population is approx 36.5
>> million. Finland's is 5.3, with people scattered around an area more
>> than twice the size of California :)
>
> nope, he said VOTES.
>
> to start the state party, the numbers are based on the number of votes
> cast in the last governors election.
> 1% of that amount, if people give a statement of support ("I support
> this party, and will possibly vote for them" sort of thing) OR
> 10% of the total, if people sign a petition ("I think it would be a good
> idea to have this party on the ballot" sort of thing)
>
> 8.8Million voted at the last one I checked (but that was before the last
> set of elections, so there might be a new number) which means 88,000
> statements, or 880,000 signatures. neither of which are easy.
>
> Of course, if I'm wrong, expect to see an email from Glenn correcting me.
>
> Andrew
>

>> Regards,

Glenn Kerbein
Pirate Party of the United States