[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Dec 24 22:05:04 CET 2008

Hi Carlos,
Sorry to say, but I am really surprised by the way you talk to me. No, I don't consider my own interpretation more valid than the UN interpretation. I only compare the position of the UDHR with the ECHR, and the different status of those statements (the one is a declaration, the other a treaty). I don't have the time to write a scientific article for you with footnotes supporting all my statements. To some extent you have to trust me - and, perhaps more importantly, the logic of what I contend.

Frankly, I believe that the logic of the system of property rights - or at least the European perspective of it - is pretty obvious. Unlike outsiders occasionally believe, law is mostly pretty logical. The "property" concept links into mainstream private law, which has a very solid basis, dating back to the Romans.

I believe the paper you referred to is to a considerable extent based on Locke's philosophy. But this very philosophy leads exactly to the type of law that PP opposes. In simple terms, the idea is that labour creates an entitlement to a property right. But this truth from the world of tangible objects can not be transposed into the world of information goods such as works and inventions. This was recognised alredy by the great Grman law scholar Josef Kohler (1849-1919), and there are some seminal articles by the Austrian/Americam economist Fritz Machlup who explain the same thing.

I like informal communication, but I urge you to observe basic principles of politeness. Happy Christmas!

Groeten, Grüße, Regards, Cordialement, Hälsningar, Ciao, Saygilar, Üdvözlettel, Pozdrowienia, Kumusta, Adios, Oan't sjen, Ave, Doei, Yassou, Yoroshiku, Slán, Vinarliga, Kær Kveðja
>>> REINIER B. BAKELS PhD LL.M. MSc
private: Johan Willem Frisostraat 149, 2713 CC Zoetermeer, The Netherlands telephone: +31 79 316 3126, GSM ("Handy") +31 6 4988 6490,  fax +31 79 316 7221