[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Thu Dec 25 09:50:15 CET 2008

>    The benefit of the "balance" argument is that no one can reasonably
> oppose
>    it.
>
> The reason it is hard to oppose is that it is weak.
> It starts with a big and misguided concession to
> the copyright holders.

I did not say it is the definitive answer. It is a start. And it is a major
departure from a conception that only the interests of the authors are to be
considered. Well, I am aware that you moved beyond that, Richard, but not
everyone is as brilliant (and as honest) as you are.

Why is this a "concession" to the authors? Incidentally, in my perception,
the *actual* authors deserve support. For them, copyright is often more a
problem than a solution: they are often forced by publishers, record
companies etc. to grant licences under very unfavourable conditions, or even
to assign their copyright and loose it forever.

Happy Christmas!

reinier