[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Thu Dec 25 11:11:57 CET 2008

in my perception there is no human rights issue at all.

you referred to the UN document containing unusual ideas, and, yes, some of the PP ideas would be in conflict with those ideas: not recognising "unlimited" rights for authors because they are authors. the idea to allow retroactive changes in rights already assigned (or recognised) clearly violates the ECHR, if done without a proper compensation.

another comment to be made is that you should not be so nervous about "violating human rights". no human right is absolute. for the simple reason that human rights are often conflicting. the ECHR has found an excellent solution to deal with that: it contains explicit provisions on the conditions for *not* respecting specific human rights.

of course i am not accusing you of (proposing to) violating human rights. i only note that you clearly don't have been trained as a lawyer. do you really need such a training? well, your reaction demonstrates that you do.

frankly, my conclusion is that it virtually impossible to cooperate with you. last spring we alredy tried to cooperate on a joint response to a european consultation on levies - and then also you made a lot of noise - but in the end i had to write the response with my friends from vrijschrift (a dutch organisation). it was a missed opportunity to provide a eu-wide response from pp-int.

all of these problems are very complicated, so at least we should trust each others expertise.

Groeten, Grüße, Regards, Cordialement, Hälsningar, Ciao, Saygilar, Üdvözlettel, Pozdrowienia, Kumusta, Adios, Oan't sjen, Ave, Doei, Yassou, Yoroshiku, Slán, Vinarliga, Kær Kveðja
>>> REINIER B. BAKELS PhD LL.M. MSc
private: Johan Willem Frisostraat 149, 2713 CC Zoetermeer, The Netherlands telephone: +31 79 316 3126, GSM ("Handy") +31 6 4988 6490,  fax +31 79 316 7221