[pp.int.general] Resale rights and 2001/84/EC directive: obscenely enlarging material interests of authors

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Thu Dec 25 19:18:13 CET 2008

The "droit de suite" directive you refer to has (indeed) nothing to do with levies. Copies of paintings on USB sticks are outside the scope of this directive.
Whether the (professional) trade in art is something to be concerned about - you are entitled to have your opinion, but I see other MUCH MORE urgent issues. Incidentally, in the political struggle about this directive, specific countries (and their art scene) played a specific role, but I  can't reproduce the specifics.
Incidentally, the trade of art is subject to very specific regulations. A PhD candidate in our university is working on a thesis about this subject. And there is a specific role for UNESCO. While we usually find too much copyright, copyright is not always suited for  true protection of genuine cultural values.

But I guess this is mostly beyond the scope of mainstream PP activism.

Groeten, Grüße, Regards, Cordialement, Hälsningar, Ciao, Saygilar, Üdvözlettel, Pozdrowienia, Kumusta, Adios, Oan't sjen, Ave, Doei, Yassou, Yoroshiku, Slán, Vinarliga, Kær Kveðja
>>> REINIER B. BAKELS PhD LL.M. MSc
private: Johan Willem Frisostraat 149, 2713 CC Zoetermeer, The Netherlands telephone: +31 79 316 3126, GSM ("Handy") +31 6 4988 6490,  fax +31 79 316 7221