[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Thu Dec 25 20:32:34 CET 2008

Perhaps the confusion is simple. A conceptual distinction must be made
between THE copyright law, and A (subjective) copyright. The former (i.e.
the rules) can - of course - be changed. Legislators may decide tomorrow (or
right after Christmas) that new works will not be covered by copyright
anymore (well, the supporters of the UN view will protest - and,
realistically, we talk about changes rather than plain abolishment). It is
the latter type of right (not law) that is protected by human rights
provisions.

In the imaginary case that copyright is abolished tomorrow, then it will
continue to cover works created until today, for life+70 years. Unless the
copyright owners will be compensated. But - like in any other case of
expropriation - the procedure is not easy. If someone is not willing to
agree voluntarily on a compensation, then it is probably up to a court to
decide. But such an operation is will simply not be affordable, especially
in a time of financial crisis.

Groeten, Grüße, Regards, Cordialement, Hälsningar, Ciao, Saygilar,
Üdvözlettel, Pozdrowienia, Kumusta, Adios, Oan't sjen, Ave, Doei, Yassou,
Yoroshiku, Slán, Vinarliga, Kær Kveðja
>>> REINIER B. BAKELS PhD LL.M. MSc
private: Johan Willem Frisostraat 149, 2713 CC Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
telephone: +31 79 316 3126, GSM ("Handy") +31 6 4988 6490,  fax +31 79 316
7221