[pp.int.general] PirateWeb demo

David Arcos david.arcos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 00:36:49 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm in (the Spanish) Pirata IT's department. I have forwarded your mail to
them.

About PirateWeb demo:
* first of all, it's written on ASP.net, we (in Pirata, as in many pirate
parties) refuse to run privative software. I don't want to start a flamewar,
but ASP.net+IIS+Windows are not very reliable IMHO.
* the appearance is fine, but without seeing how it works, I cannot judge.
For now the demo is just this menu, right?

About our "piratadmin":
* piratadmin is the codename for Pirata's "control panel". It's developed in
django (http://www.djangoproject.com/)
* production environment: https://admin.partidopirata.es/ (sorry, no "demo"
account yet)
* All our code is Free (as in Freedom), it's available here:
http://trac.partidopirata.es/pirata
in particular, piratadmin code:
http://trac.partidopirata.es/pirata/browser/piratadmin
* we plan to do a new interface (facebook-style UI), so the users can enjoy
a more comfortable experience while voting and managing their accounts
* we encourage all the pirates to download our code, use it, ask us
questions, ask for new features (just submit a ticket, a patch if possible)

About other IT teams:
* Shouldn't we consider doing a *joint international IT team*? We are
working in the same (or very similar) issues, and there is no need to
reinvent the wheel each time.
* There are >10 Pirate Parties, do we really need >10 IT teams? Do we really
want to develop the same applications >10 times?