[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Richard M Stallman rms at gnu.org
Mon Dec 29 11:23:24 CET 2008

    On the logic of you reasoning: property rights become property rights
    because of their properties (characteristics), not because legislators
    explicitly decide to do so. So it would not help if legislators simply say
    "this is not a property right". The essence is that one can not take away a
    right from someone that represents a (monetary) value

This "principle" is strangling democracy, as it means that the
megacorporations need only corrupt one government, getting it to
privitize something or create a monopoly, to set up a form of
oppression that no one can undo.  Even if the public gets angry and
elects a government inclined to undo the damage, this "principle"
makes that impossible.

Thus, this "principle" becomes evil when extended to cover such cases.
We the people must trim it back.  Whatever organizations stand in the
way, we must change them or overcome them.  Unjust copyright is only
a part of the problem that makes this necessary.