[pp.int.general] Resale rights and 2001/84/EC directive: obscenely enlarging material interests of authors

Ole Husgaard pirat at sparre.dk
Tue Dec 30 01:11:32 CET 2008

Carlos Ayala Vargas skrev:
> Congratulations, you've bought a brand-new house, in a nice place, nice design
> and inner distribution, and it cost 200.000 € ... however, 3 years later you
> have to resell it because you move 500 km far from it; in spite of the current
> real estate crisis, you become able to sale it for 250.000 €; would you find it
> reasonable that the architect ask you for a 1 % of the sale price -i.e., 2.500 €-
While architecture is copyrighted, I do not think this directive applies
to buildings.

At least this is how this directive was implemented in danish copyright
law in 2005. Our law explicitly states that this mandatory royalty does
not apply to buildings.

And while I agree with Reinier that it is too late to win this war, I
think this can be used politically in countries where it is still being
implemented, to make people aware of the problems with copyright, and of
the importance of voting PP into the EU Parliament.

In Denmark the implementation of this directive was actually an
improvement. We used to have a flat 5% of sales price royalty with no
limit, but that is not allowed by the directive.

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.