[pp.int.general] Resale rights and 2001/84/EC directive: obscenely enlarging material interests of authors

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Tue Dec 30 10:06:02 CET 2008

> Carlos Ayala Vargas skrev:
>> Congratulations, you've bought a brand-new house, in a nice place, nice
>> design
>> and inner distribution, and it cost 200.000 € ... however, 3 years later
>> you
>> have to resell it because you move 500 km far from it; in spite of the
>> current
>> real estate crisis, you become able to sale it for 250.000 €; would you
>> find it
>> reasonable that the architect ask you for a 1 % of the sale price -i.e.,
>> 2.500 €-
> While architecture is copyrighted, I do not think this directive applies
> to buildings.
>
> At least this is how this directive was implemented in danish copyright
> law in 2005. Our law explicitly states that this mandatory royalty does
> not apply to buildings.
>
> And while I agree with Reinier that it is too late to win this war, I
> think this can be used politically in countries where it is still being
> implemented, to make people aware of the problems with copyright, and of
> the importance of voting PP into the EU Parliament.
>
> In Denmark the implementation of this directive was actually an
> improvement. We used to have a flat 5% of sales price royalty with no
> limit, but that is not allowed by the directive.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Ole Husgaard.

Talking about architects: they tend to be strict on moral rights. When the
new central station in Berlin was finished a couple of years ago. the
architect complained that a particular detail was not realised as he had
designed, and he required in court that it would be corrected, and he won.
Now this station is Berlins pride, it is a landmark building with a high
symbolic value in this city with its complicated history. And th3e
construction of this station caused some technical problems - it is in an
area close to a river with soft soil.

Actually I have not heard how this story ended, but I guess that the
architect finally got a financial compensation.

In NL, the heirs of an architect contested until the Supreme Court the
demomishment of a building. But then the Supreme Court decided that moral
rights only affect changes to the creation of an architect - but the
demolishment was not considered a change: the result is not a bulding with
changes the architect would not approve, but no building at all.

Conceivably it would be very problematic if all architects can prohibit
their works from being demolished. Note that moral rights may last even
longer than exploitation rights (i.e. beyond life +70) - in France they last
forever(and are enforced - theoretically - by the police).

Another problem in thisfield is that architects can claim copyright for
picture cards of their buildings. But fortunately - thanks to a European
directive - the rules have been relaxed in this respect. There is now more
freedom to make and sell photographs of buildings in the public space.

Such problems are aggravated because collective rights agencies typically
strive for the maximum - they don't limit themselves to what is reasonable.
In NL there has been an interesting case of a newspaper interviewing a board
member of a major company. Next to the interview, it printed a photograph of
this director in his office - with a sculpture in the background (board
rooms are often decorated with works of art). And then a collective rights
organisation claimed rights on behalf of the sculptor, because the
photograph was deemed to be a "new publication" of this copyrighted work.
Unfortunately, the parties came to an (unknown) settelement, so that nobody
knows what is the law in this type of situation.

A fair use exception may resolve such  problems  - but it is considered
undesirable on this side of the ocean, because it hurts the (human?) rights
of the author (= rights owner) and may affect legal certainty adversely.

Again: beware of human rights! Authors and their representatives will claim
human rights ad nauseam - and it is not plain nonse from a legal
perspective. There is plenty of literature in that direction.

reinier