[pp.int.general] PPI platform for EU Election 2009

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Wed Dec 31 01:38:00 CET 2008

It may help to concentrate on present issues first. #1 imho is the concerted
action by record companies and their organisations (IFPI, RIAA) to get more
money from copyright. They campaign, and that calls for a counter-campaign.
The prime agument against their policy imho is the obvious fact that they
strive to "rent seeking": make more moeny by influencing the legislator.
Presently the strategy of record companies is to "ask" ISPs to control P2P
trafic "voluntarily". This avoids impopular criminal actions (as became
apparent in the US). The mistake is that such an approach requires the ISP
to make judgements they should not make - but courts. The principle *always*
has been that communication companies are not responsible for the
information they transport. Tehy lack both the authorioty and the knowledge
to make proper judgements if they are "asked" to filter traffic.
reinier