[pp.int.general] !! Denmark censors Internet, blocks The Pirate Bay

Ole Husgaard osh at procard.dk
Mon Feb 4 13:54:07 CET 2008

Hi,

Danm, this is coming just now when I'm down with the flu.

Most likely they are doing this the same way they did to get
allofmp3.com blocked. In Denmark it is quite easy to get a preliminary
injunction. In the allofmp3.com case they got a preliminary injunction
against Tele2 (which isn't one of the major ISPs in Denmark) with a
letter from IFPI Russia full of lies. Looks like Tele2 didn't know about
the legal status of allofmp3.com, so they didn't refute the letter from
IFPI russia.

The relevant court document in danish can be found here:
http://www.dr.dk/NR/rdonlyres/EF2AAB7A-0E04-4963-963A-463CD7550D72/361965/tele2_ke.pdf.

Right now it is trivial to get around the filter. All you have to do is
not use the DNS servers of danish ISPs who lie when the address is
looked up. But it is really scary to see that other kinds of filtering
is also discussed in the court document, and that one of the other
filtering methods is also said to be useful for filtering radical
political speech (Page 7. In danish: "rabiate politiske budskaber").

The normal procedure after a preliminary injunction is that a real court
case investigating the merits of the injunction is started after a few
weeks, but this has never happened.

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.