[pp.int.general] [Fwd: [Ipred2] publication in official journal pending]

Ricardo Cristof Remmert-Fontes ricardo.cristof at remmert-fontes.de
Thu Feb 14 17:00:02 CET 2008

fyi - new drive in IPRED2

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: [Ipred2] publication in official journal pending
Datum: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:32:57 +0100

Dear IPRED2ers,

There is a continuous publication of legislative documents in the
Official Journal of the European Union. The latest stuff made available
31 January this year comes from dossiers closed in March last year.

That means that if the conflict with the missing amendment is resolved,
which I actually don't know if it is, we could expect the consolidated
version of EP's first reading pop up in the OJ in a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately the publication in OJ seems to have no clear statutory
function. The Council can discuss the EP's vote without it. And it
actually has, at least once, had a WG meeting on the basis of
Zingaretti's version.

Nevertheless the publication is a guarantee that at least the EP's
internal affairs have been cleared. While waiting, I therefore suggest
we revisit our coalition report to see if it maybe can be updated with
ECJ case law (e.g. Promusicae) and other stuff that have happened the
last year. Best case we can synchronise our revised version with the
EP's publication.

Further reasons for keeping it up is that even if criminalisation might
seem distant and a bad idea for us, the sentiment in the EP seems to
point in another direction. For example, such a remote committee as the
Committee on International Trade uses a very harsh language in it's
opinion on the Graça Moura report "A European agenda for culture in a
globalising world:

    Calls on the Commission to take the appropriate measures to
    strengthen the protection of intellectual property rights according
    to the Union’s acquis communautaire, World Trade Organisation (WTO)
    rules and EU bilateral agreements in order to eradicate
    counterfeiting and piracy;

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2004_2009/documents/pa/692/692549/692549en.pdf

Eradicate piracy?! Is that even possible? Well, never mind, it's seem
important to call loudly for law enforcement so you don't appear soft on
piracy.

Here's the file:

    European agenda for culture in a globalising world
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/oeil/file.jsp?id=5532002

Viele Grüße,
Ricardo Cristof Remmert-Fontes

--
Arbeitskreis Vorratsdatenspeicherung
c/o Humanistische Union e.V.

Fon: +49-30-94881297
Fax: +49-700-25808789
Mobile: +49-170-2487266
Jabber: rcrf at jabber.org
E-Mail: rcrf at vorratsdatenspeicherung.de
Web: http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de

My GnuPG-Key:
http://cristof.remmert-fontes.de/downloads/pgpkey_rcrf.zip
Key-ID: 25038B2F
Fingerprint: 5EA8 EF99 1B99 04DF 70C8 5F6E 85BC CA54 2503 8B2F