[pp.int.general] What's going on in Denmark? - riots

Ole Husgaard osh at procard.dk
Tue Feb 19 20:25:41 CET 2008

Hi,

Carlos Ayala wrote:
> http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gb_Oh9rwoIfa6wxMsitw7VG4k9Fw
>
> Ole, what's happening there?

This is not directly related to the Pirate Party, except that it has to
do with another few cases of violating personal integrity.

The riots are basically by young people who think they are being
harassed by the police.

Some time back, after wide media reports of two unrelated cases where
somebody were killed with knifes, our politicians wanted to act. They
passed a law giving the police powers to designate areas where they can
search people for weapons, even if they see no indication that the
person searched has any weapons. From the documents preparing the law it
is obvious that these areas should be small, like a certain bar, or a
certain place in the streets. But the police have abused this law so
that about 90% of the central area of our capitol now consists of such
search areas.

A group of these young people recently described it this way in a press
release: "Basically the riots are about the way the police treats us in
a way that is brutal, racistic and completely unacceptably violating.
Among other things we are being talked to in a dirty way; we are being
searched up to several times each day by the same policemen, and these
searches violate our basic integrity because we are asked to take off
our clothes, and the police is focusing their flashlights on our
intimate parts in public places. This is the attitude we are met with
from the police in our daily life. What made us react this way was that
an old and respected man from our local area was pushed to the ground,
and then beaten by the police with sticks while lying on the ground. It
is one thing that we are treated this way, but it is an entirely
different thing that our parents are treated this way!" (My probably not
so good translation from:
http://politiken.dk/indland/fakta_indland/article473096.ece)

Another thing that in particular young foreigners living here are angry
about, is that we have basically dropped "habeas corpus" (the right to
be judged by a court of law, if you are put in jail) for foreigners
living here if suspected of planning terrorist acts. We have a case
where two people from Tunesia are in jail because our secret service
(PET) claims they where planning to kill some guy who has drawn a
picture of the profet Muhammed. But neither these two people, their
lawyers nor any judges in the court system are allowed to get any
concrete information on the accusations. These two people could stay
jailed for years without a conviction, and then (again without their
case having been heard by a judge) be expelled to a country where they
will likely be put in jail because of their religion.

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.