No subject

Sat Feb 9 17:18:40 CET 2008

is converted into a police state in order to protect the interests of record
companies in copyright matters. Like famous copyright professor Hugenholtz
of Amsterdam University said some years ago about IPRED: "Why not the death
penalty?" (don't get confused! of course he did not advocate the death
penalty!).

While the death penalty is unrealistic, I do believe that one day Maroccans
who share files on the Internet may be sent back to Marocco. As you may
know, Maroccans can't give up their Maroccan citizenship if they become
Dutch, Swedish or whatever. This continues across generations, so there are
lots of 2nd and 3rd generation Maroccan immigrants who have never been in
Marocco, and perhaps even don't speak the anguage, but still have the
citizenship. Now some right wing politicians propose to withdraw e.g. the
Dutch citizenship of such people if they commit severe crimes. While
international law does not allow a state to withdraw the *last* citizenship
of someone, in this case the Maroccan citizenship is a fallback. Now we all
know from IPRED2 that copyright infringement will be a severe crime. The end
effect will be lots of people of (remote) Maroccan origin in Marocco who
only speak Dutch.

reinier