[pp.int.general] The Songwriters Association of Canada endorsesfilesharing legalization

Wybo Wiersma wybo at logilogi.org
Wed Jan 9 16:44:42 CET 2008

> > > First, the proposal fails to answer the most basic question:
> > >
> > > WHO is going to be compensated FOR WHAT and WHY?
> >
> > A fair system for that is possible, [...]
>
> i don't think so. because fair is relative. someone thinks, that
> something is fair, someone else thinks, it's unfair.

How is it currently organised ? In Copyright-matters, but also the
division of wealth and income in wider society ? Globally ? Does
everyone think everything is fair ? No! Most most likely don't...

And still majorities reach consensus...

> > (especially as research and creativity become more and more central
> > to our society and economy... and thus professionalize...)
>
> what's fair :)? what's an fair income?

That can be discussed, and probably will be discussed, but the model
does not limit it, or mean that creators would get less than they
get now, or even mean that the distribution is more even...

(alternatives are among others more user/votes, more income, more u/v
more income but less so with each additional user beyond a certain
number, etc...)

What I think is important in the context of our party-programs is that
we don't exclude options, and don't spend too much time discussing
which alternative is best... We should offer as many alternatives as
possible, and state that the current copyright-laws should change...

The rest can be decided when we have the resources and power to have
an extensive reseach-programme funded into the alternatives and their
(many) consequences...

Wybo Wiersma