[pp.int.general] Segervittring

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Fri Jan 11 18:03:16 CET 2008

----- Mensaje original ----
De: Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) <rick at piratpartiet.se>
Enviado: viernes, 11 de enero, 2008 16:40:18
> I'd certainly love to -- I'm euphoric as to the current state of things
 in Sweden.

> Now on Slashdot and Digg's first pages, too.
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/11/1334236

Sigfrid & Co. reasons couldn't be more logical: antipiracy measures cannot be implemented without violating the more elemental privacy principles.

That leads to an idea that has been previously exposed by Rick and others, and which I agree -because, for instance, the Spanish copyright lobbies aren't really so strong (government would drive them out if it was its will, because of so many flaws within their daily operations, which may be legally pursued)-: as happens with the war with terrorism, antipiracy may be a pretext to undermine citizens' privacy.

It comes from a precedential attitude, with a weakest leg policy -used broadly in the EU when a project first is passed as a law in a few member States, and later it becomes a general EU directive-:

- first, they set a precedent by -in this case- diminishing privacy in one issue;
- if this precedent consolidates -i.e.: if it receives people's approval-, then they extend the precedent to other issues
- if some people complain against the new issues the answer will be hey it's legal, remember the precedent
- finally, they would have created a general rule from a single precedent

So that's why it's so important to stop the precedent becoming a reality. Actually, Rick, I agree about the importance of the rebelliousness of the Sigfrid's men; however, I both don't know if it will change the Reinfeldt's government mood, and if it will cost them their place at the next Swedish election. Anyway are good news, I wish here in Spain we were able to say the same about Spanish congressman -the only thing we can say is that the main opposition party promises to remove levies (though in exchange of prohibiting filesharing and promoting DRM), a promise which was not fulfilled by other parties after the last general election of 2004 (the no-levies promise; actually ALL Spanish parliamentary parties tried both to prohibite filesharing as bad as promoting DRM)-. Regards

                                                                                     Carlos Ayala
                                                                                     ( Aiarakoa )

                                                              Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman

Web Revelación Yahoo! 2007:
Premio Favorita del Público.
http://es.promotions.yahoo.com/revelacion2007/favoritos/