[pp.int.general] You have GOT to check this out

Mattie teirdes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 21:51:34 CET 2008

On 19/01/2008, Jan Huwald <jh at sotun.de> wrote:
> They want a tax on advertisments wich is dedicated to culture funding. I love
> the idea (and actually thought proposing it would immediatly brandmark one as
> communist), because:
> a. Advertisments pollute information space by false information and destroying
> poeples (and therefore society's) attention
> b. Those polluting the information space should pay compensation for that
> damage
> c. Culture (including journalism) can clean up information space and also
> extend it

I think this might be a good idea. It depends on how you shape the
taxation, though. Since a lot of media get almost all of their incomes
from advertisement, it might put those in a trickier position.

As for who has the money to advertise: if they already have a lot of
money, let them use some of it for the public good.

I heard something about an MPAA taxi campaign last year. To me, that
would count as a big nuisance hearing MPAA adverts when I'm only
trying to get home, or out, or actually wherever. I sometimes get
annoyed with what they do without even leaving the house! Tax 'em down
is the least we can do :/

But it's the Fromm thing: positive or negative freedom. Freedom to, or
freedom from.

> The big problem left is that of distribution

Public libraries!!
http://www.parabolux.se/referenser/linkoping-bibliotek/par5.jpg
http://www.hovberg.se/resmi/bibliotek9.jpg
http://halvar.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/bibliotek.jpg