[pp.int.general] Richard Stallman's interview

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Tue Jan 22 04:17:17 CET 2008

We in Partido Pirata have always had a trouble defining this part of our platform. We are aware that as contents and works that have to be ruled by author's rights and not by patents, both software rights and culture rights issues have to be managed within the author's rights scope -as Rick says, in a culture-and-knowledge perspective-.

However, in spite of they belong to the same scope, we think that they are not exactly the same -as we may think of software as a tool which implements an idea to fulfill some functionalities; in the other hand, culture is not a tool anymore, but more like a sophisticated language which captures the essence of a person, the essence of a collective, even the essence of Nature-. Although cultural works may have a purpose -for instance, entertainment-, they don't really have to have a purpose; however, software always have a purpose -for instance, aiding people to create cultural works :)-.

So in Partido Pirata we think it's not a trivial issue -at least it has not been trivial for us-, and we would be willing to discuss it in Berlin; we think that if it's discussed by fellow pirates, we'll reach an agreement that will both bring a common stance for the international platform, and help us in Spain to finish our Culture and Author's RIghts platform. Regards,

                                                                                    Carlos Ayala
                                                                                    ( Aiarakoa )

                                                            Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman