[pp.int.general] Collecting signatures for 2009 European Election, and other requirements

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Fri Jul 11 20:32:55 CEST 2008

----- Mensaje original ----
De: Ole Husgaard <pirat at sparre.dk>
Enviado: viernes, 11 de julio, 2008 19:06:40
> I have a local journalist who wants to write about the high number of signatures needed in Denmark to participate in
> elections. So I am very interested in this information.

You mean you have info about this issue, or that you're requesting info about this issue? If you're requesting and you need additional info about European Election in Spain's requirements, feel free to ask

Carlos Ayala skrev:
> > In today's Pirate Manifesto session, Partia Piratow representative told that in Poland 100.000!!! signatures are
> > required,
> To be fair, only 5000 signatures are needed to run for elections. Poland is divided into about 40 election districts, and
> you need 5000 signatures in a district to participate in elections in that district. If you have your 5000 signatures in
> more than half the districts, you can participate in elections in all districts.

Actually, to concur for the Spanish 54 MPs you need 15.000 signatures while to concur for the Polish 54 MPs they need 100.000 signatures; it has to be noted that there are 45 million Spaniards and 38 million Polish, so I don't find any logic in such huge amount of signatures required to Partia Piratow -requiring far more signatures in a country with slightly less eligible voters-. It seems unfair, like if Polish Election law were aimed to prevent tiny parties from concurring to elections.

> > and Ole Husgaard talked about 70.000 in Denmark, Quite huge amounts, indeed.
> And very hard to get: You have to get full name, address and SSN besides the signature. And the signature has to be
> sent to the right one of about 200 local cencus registration offices depending on the address of the signer. The census
> office then certifies that the signature is good and from a voter, and sends it back to the signer. The signer then has
> to buy an envelope and stamp and mail his certified signature back to the party (this extra step is called confirming
> the signature. In particular the last step is bad. In reality we need to collect about 150000-200000 signatures to end up
> with the 70000 certified and confirmed signatures. And this is in a country with only about 3.5 million voters.

:O In Spain we need full name, town census where the eligible voter is registered, birthdate and ID number, and also an informed consent because of Private Data Law -signatories have to informedly consent us to manage their private data until such data is delivered to the Election Board; this informed consent is made simultaneously together with the signing of the official MIR (Ministry of Interior) form- However, we don't have such other requirements you describe, it's simply frightening!!!

It's not only the huge amount of signatures which matters, it's also the procedure.

> > How about the rest of pirate parties, which requirements do they have to face?
> In Sweden they need 1500 signatures to participate in local parliament elections. I don't know if the number of
> signatures is different for EP elections in SE

Considering that there are 5 times more voters in Spain than in Sweden, it's like if Sweden were required half of Spanish signatures ... 13'33 times less signatures than in Poland ... and ... roughly 100 times less signatures than in Denmark!!!

Very huge differences between Member States, don't understand why European Election rules are so heterogeneous from one Member State to another. Regards,

                                                                                Carlos Ayala
                                                                                ( Aiarakoa )

                                                           Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman

P.S.: While homogeneization uses to be a good option, I'm afraid that Sarkozy & Co. would choose, as a model to converge to ... the Danish model -which would imply, in a country like Spain, to require us to collect  ... 700.000 signatures!!! (actually 1'5-2 million signatures, as Ole points)-.