[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto Reloaded

Bernhard Schillo b.schillo at gmx.net
Thu Jul 10 19:26:49 CEST 2008

Hi,

my name is Bernhard Schillo and i'm new on this mailing list. I'm
actually member of the german partys national board.

In my opinion we have to deal with the correlation between the core
issues and non core issues. The intellectual property rights have an
impact on the whole society, not only on the media market (See for
example:
http://commonsblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/etcgroupclimategenesfinal05_08.pdf
), and the commons are as well as privacy a requirement for a democratic
society.

This is why i strongly believe that we should stay on these issues and
underline the political relevance of these core issues. But perhaps it
coud be useful to write a manifesto with statements e.g. on business or
agriculture, which contains no new positions, but shows the correlation
between our core issues and that (for example the effects of patents on
agriculture or on monopolies in business)?!? But ok, for this election
it's probably too late anyway...

For the european parliament election the discussion about core and non
core issues in my opinion only has a "strategical" relevance, because we
HAVE no common statements on non core issues on the european or
international platform and even if a pirate boards the parliament in
this election, in my opinion the sybmolic meaning and the publicity we
get would be a bigger advantage than the political power we achieve.

So in my opinion the intention to find an easy to handle strategic way
to please the people who worry about what happens with their vote on
other issues than our core issues, is right. But i think, the conclusion
is wrong. To announce that we would support other parties brings the
following problems: If we specify the party(s) we would collaborate
with, we have no bargaining power against them because they know that we
MUST work with them. If we don't specify the possible partners there are
two possibilities left: The first: We say that we work with the leading
group - but in my opinion too many people wouldn't like that and
wouldn't vote for us in this case and the bargaining power wouldn't be
very good, too. The second: We say nothing about the possible partners -
and in this case i don't know why we should have a statement about it at
all. In germany people are used to judge about the possible coalition
partners of a party because of their understanding of the political
opinion of the party. So we have to sharpen our image as a party which
works for human rights and is not only a lobby for filesharers, and for
this we neither need more issues nor a fixed strategy for coalitions. We
have to communicate the relevance of our core issues.

Regards
Bernhard Schillo

Carlos Ayala schrieb:

> [...]
bernhard schillo