[pp.int.general] Political Party X (was: Uppsala Declaration)

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Mon Jun 30 14:15:30 CEST 2008

----- Mensaje original ----
De: Anton Tamminen <anton.tamminen at piraattipuolue.fi>
Enviado: lunes, 30 de junio, 2008 13:59:24
> This EP group topic is apparently a matter that requires more elaborate discussion, perhaps not very suitable for this
> mailing list. It is good that people reacted on this, because it shows that there is disagreement we need to work on.

Of course there are. And not only in the EP topic, as you may check in my former mails, or the one from Häggström.

> Amelia and Carlos both have points albeit from different perspectives which to me seem geo-political

I rather think that the succedaneous thing is universal: if there are two parties A and B, and B starts copying everything from A and supporting everything from A ... finally most B voters will change their minds and start voting A instead -others would vote a third party or even quit voting-, because they'd find out that giving their vote to B, only for B to give as well that vote to A, would mean the same than giving the vote directly to A.

> and I think this discussion can't continue in a constructive manner until we evaluate the technicialities of the European
> Parliament in a more elaborate way, preferably in a larger group, as well as consider the differences between the
> national politics in different countries. During the conference, I was surprised of the multitude of such differences
> within the EU.

I think that we should recover the manifesto process ... this time participating representatives from all pirate parties, in order to develop a text suitable for all of us. As you say, finding our common stances in the most controversial issues requires more elaborated ways, and it's not something to be solved during a weekend.

> My impression is that Swedish national politics work differently than for eg. Finnish or Spanish, so we need to consider
> things from a broader perspective.

Actually Swedish politics are different from Finnish or Spanish ... though the succedaneous thing fits the same for all of us.

> About the other propositions to the document that were presented: During the conference, I tried to retain a more
> deletionist than inclusionist stance, to make sure the document would not be in conflict with possible local issues and
> interpretations, and I think most of us followed the same rule.

Abstraction is the key to include as many points as possible, when different stances on a concrete issues share enough common points despite the differences; however, it's only possible through an elaborated process as you described before.

> Although I am uncertain of the exact motives of the Swedish Pirate Party on this 'declaration', I personally don't think it
> should be given that much weight. I view it as a means of getting media attention, at most

Huh ... thus this 'declaration' is an unilateral initiative from Swedish Piratpartiet? Regards,

                                                                                    Carlos Ayala
                                                                                    ( Aiarakoa )

                                                             Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman