[pp.int.general] PP position on levies

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sat Mar 8 10:12:39 CET 2008

Forgive me my basic question, but what is PP's position on levies?

In my view, levy systems assume present day copyright as a given and only
try to make the collection of author compensation money more efficient, at
the expense of justice. Occationally levy systems are seen as the "next
best" now that DRM is generally rejected, but it has many disadvantages:
- What is the unit of measure? I assume it can't be anything else than the
bit.
- There not relationship between the number of bits and the cost, let alone
the value of a work. A PDF of a work is much larger than a flat ASCII file
of the same work.
- Due to ever falliing storage cost, the levy proportion of the sales price
of storage media will stringly increase. 2/3 of the price of a blank DVD is
levies. For a blue ray DVD it may be 90%. This will evoke a black market and
associated criminality.
- Levies will touch lost of copyright-free work. E.g. companies dostributing
*their own* software on CDROM. Or the levies on copiers to be paid by
business who only copy their own letters, no copyrighted works.
- How to distribute the income from levies? Economic criteria will make
popular artists even richer. Cultural diversity criteria require complicated
judgements.
- Levy systems are expensive and suffer from high overheads, "transaction
cost", in economic terms.
- Levy systems also affect works that were supposed to be free by the
author: open source software, creative commons, even this e-mail. They
assume *all* authors want to make money from their works, whch is in
conflict wirth the basic right of self-determination.
- Levy systems tend to favour traditional distributors (publishers),
removing innovation incentives.

Groeten, Grüße, Regards, Cordialement, Hälsningar, Ciao, Saygilar,
Üdvözlettel, Pozdrowienia, Kumusta, Adios, Oan't sjen, Ave, Doei, Yassou,
Yoroshiku
>>> REINIER B. BAKELS
private: Johan Willem Frisostraat 149, 2713 CC Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
telephone: +31 79 316 3126, GSM ("Handy") +31 6 4988 6490,  fax +31 79 316
7221