[pp.int.general] Denmark announces new penalties for filesharing

Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) rick at piratpartiet.se
Wed Mar 12 13:13:32 CET 2008

There appears to be a six-year prison sentence for copyright infringement
for commercial gain, and a 1.5-year maximum prison sentence for
noncommercial copyright infringement (with fines for less serious offences).

But I can read Danish only to the point that I get the general idea about
what is being talked about, and this is legal text, and one where the real
consequences have been deliberately obscured. Our Danish friends are most
welcome to help out. I have attached the fresh reports to this mail.

(I imagine it would be something like you reading legal Portuguese.)

In any case, criminalizing patent infringements is seriously bad enough. It
would remove the entire principle of intent-to-commit from due criminal
process; you could be guilty of a crime giving six years in prison without
knowing or intending to do something illegal, and only after a lengthy civil
proceeding which is known to be more of a lottery.

  _____