[pp.int.general] levies consultation

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Sat Mar 29 11:56:48 CET 2008

----- Mensaje original ----
De: Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl>
Enviado: sábado, 29 de marzo, 2008 11:00:20
> This cross-post is an emergency. I see lots of thoughts about the EU levies consultation, but what should we do now?
> We only have three weeks (until 18/4), and the questionaire contains many factual questions definitely not directed at
> information freedom activists such as ourselves. Fortunately the invitation on
> http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/copyright/levy_reform/index_en.htm says "All stakeholders are invited to comment
> on the issues in the attached second call for comments. Answers and comments, which may cover all or only a limited
> number of the issues mentioned in the background document, should reach the e-mail address markt-d1 at ec.europa.eu
> by 18 April 2008." (Underscores added). I think we MUST not answer those factual questions, because they will wonder
> why we did that at all.

They may wonder why did we answer at all. I hope they wonder about our answers, because first of all it would imply that they would have read them -thing about what I'm not pretty sure ;)-.

Also, I see no problem in answering all the questions, even only to say "you trickster" -they are just questioning how to manage levies, so they are assuming levies should exist anyway (without even questioning why); what a tricky questionnaire then-. Obviously without calling them directly trickster, but pointing at how tricky the questions are.

> I think it is time to draft a "table of contents". Imho it should start with an explanation to turn the Commission 180
> degrees. They apparently enivisage a harmonisation on the executive level, assuming as a given that there is
> definitely a reason for levies - only the tariffs must not be out of step (perhaps I am slightly exaggerating but not
> much).

You don't exaggerate at all: as I said before, they assume as a given that there is definitely a reason for levies to exist.

> We must explain 1) why a levy system can not work (no proper measure, no basis for a fair distribution, huge
> transaction cost, a police state needed for enforcement, no restoration of market failure) 2) and more fundamentally,
> why the present copyright system principles are unsound, in particular the idea that all and any copy is due a copyright,
> with only a few exceptions that actually "confirm the rule". After such an introduction, obviously there is no reason
> whatsoever anymore to spend any word on "fair" levy collection and distribution systems!

Yes, we already had yesterday a PPI meeting and arrived to simmilar conclusions; such explanation would serve as a reference for EC to understand our answers -to understand for the whole document why do we find such questionnaire a tricky one-.

> Hasn't such a document been written by any of you? How about the EFF in the US? I heard the Swedish PP website has
> lots of documents that "only" have to be transated from the Swedish? Or should we rework the "Jeroen Hellingman"
> letter written to the Dutch parliament a few months ago?
>
> In sum: 1. Could we
reuse an existing document? 2. Or: what could be a "table of contents" for a new
document?

Not sure about if there are existing ones already sent to authorities, but the concepts are solid if there were the need for writing a new document. Regards,

                                                                                        Carlos Ayala
                                                                                        ( Aiarakoa )

                                                                Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman