[pp.int.general] [SE] [Guldpirat] [Translations] request for translation / english summary

Ole Husgaard osh at procard.dk
Thu May 1 18:09:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

I do not have time for a translation, but I can give a quick summary. I
send this the the PPI list, as I think this could serve as inspiration
for other Pirate Parties.

The background is that the SE PP has a lot of members. But they do not
want the price of membership to stop anybody from being a member, so the
yearly membership fee is only SEK 5. This means that the party lacks
funding.

To raise funding, they have invented the term "guldpirat" (means "gold
pirate"). A gold pirate is someone who has asked their bank to do a
recurring monthly payment to the SE PP. It is really a recurring
donation. The suggested amount is SEK 100, but everybody is free to
donate whatever they like. In the month of March 2008 this brought SEK
19954 from about 200 gold pirates.

On the same page they have also stated what the money will be used for.
They have four levels, depending on the amounts they are able to raise.
The highest level (costs SEK 30 million in an election year) matches
what the other major parties are doing. The lowest level (costs SEK
600000 per year) means that presense at all relevant events is possible,
and that there is still money for printing for national spring- and
fall-campaigns. They expect that the lowest level can be reached if 10
percent of the members become gold pirates.

You do not get any special privileges in the party if you become a gold
pirate - remember it is a donation. The only privilege you get is that
you can call yourself a gold pirate, and use the gold pirate logo.

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.