[pp.int.general] urgent: data retention and downloading

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sat May 17 20:09:54 CEST 2008

I have found that in Germany the retained data may only be used (§ 113b German Telecommunication Act):
1. zur Verfolgung von Straftaten,

2. zur Abwehr von erheblichen Gefahren für die öffentliche Sicherheit oder

3. zur Erfüllung der gesetzlichen Aufgaben der Verfassungsschutzbehörden des Bundes und

der Länder, des Bundesnachrichtendienstes und des Militärischen Abschirmdienstes

Short translation:

1. for criminal prosecution

2. to prevent severe public security risks (presumably terrorism)

3. for intelligence agencies

So rights owners have no access to such data either in Germany (like in The Netherlands), except indirectly if they report an infringement to criminal prosecution authorities. Apparently, the directive makes no provision for the use of retained data, except that it must be regulated by law.

ANY MEMBER STATE CONSIDERING TO ALLOW ACCESS BY RIGHTS OWNERS ORGANISATIONS?

Groeten, Grüße, Regards, Cordialement, Hälsningar, Ciao, Saygilar, Üdvözlettel, Pozdrowienia, Kumusta, Adios, Oan't sjen, Ave, Doei, Yassou, Yoroshiku
>>> REINIER B. BAKELS PhD
private: Johan Willem Frisostraat 149, 2713 CC Zoetermeer, The Netherlands telephone: +31 79 316 3126, GSM ("Handy") +31 6 4988 6490,  fax +31 79 316 7221