[pp.int.general] illegal use of retained data?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sun May 18 00:29:27 CEST 2008

Sorry, there is no reason to say that I did not properly listen to your
previous note. Let's be nice to each other.
I guess the confusion is that there are two distinct types of
telecommunication tapping:
1. On a routine basis, without any specific prior reason: that is data
retention, and it is limited to traffic data
2. Temporarily, ordered by a public prosecutor and/or a judge: that may
include traffic contents. This is the type of investigation under § 100 a/b
StPO, and similarly art. 126 aa-zz of the Dutch Wetboek van Strafvordering.
The latter provisions were adopted in 2000 after a parlementary Commission
("Van Traa") had decided that a proper regulation also of exceptional
prosecution authorities was needed ("Wet BOB"), after in the 1990s a drug
prosecution project ended in a major political scandal (IRT affaire).
This act was exceptional insofar that it distinguished "preparatory acts",
which was a fundamental deviation from the established principle that only
the prosecution of specific suspects is legitimate. But still, the measures
of this act were only justified in the that such "preparatory acts" could
reasonably be expected, *not* as an ever lasting day to day routine. Which
is basically what Data Retention is.

In sum, I am still not convinced that the DR directive creates any
obligation to record data, only to retain data that is already recorded for
other purposes, such as billing. Actually in the debate in the Dutch
parliament last Wednesday, the minister underlined several times that Dr is
about data that is recorded anyway. Well, the minister is a politician, but
also a law professor.

Not observing Data Retention obligations is a crime by itself. Criminal law
always requires very strict interpretation. If this principle is not
observed, it is a clear case for appeal/revision or even the constitutional
court.

Perhaps the idea is frustrating that the DR directive is not as bad as it
seemed at first sight. But, firstly, unlike political debates, legal debates
depend on precision, and secondly, perhaps there is indeed a worrying
situation, but that may be dependent on national legislation only (like §
100a StPO for DE and art. 126 hh Sv for NL).

Groeten, Grüße, Regards, Cordialement, Hälsningar, Ciao, Saygilar,
Üdvözlettel, Pozdrowienia, Kumusta, Adios, Oan't sjen, Ave, Doei, Yassou,
Yoroshiku
>>> REINIER B. BAKELS PhD
private: Johan Willem Frisostraat 149, 2713 CC Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
telephone: +31 79 316 3126, GSM ("Handy") +31 6 4988 6490,  fax +31 79 316
7221