[pp.int.general] Working for EU elections

Andrew Norton andrew.norton at pirate-party.us
Mon Nov 10 22:20:54 CET 2008

Ok, since we need to start working, and as Rick Says, it's less than 6
months away, we need to start getting some stuff done.

We need to get www.pp-international.net updated, and working. I don't
know who has access to it, I don't, but it needs doing, and we need to
start generating content for it. It may even need a redesign (also note,
i have almost no skills or knowledge in web design so if we do go for a
redesign, i'll need some help)

We need to start keeping better track of who is where. Figures for how
far along everyone is with EU election registration, preferably updated
weekly, would be nice. Right now, I know Sweden's position, and i know
Spain's position, but the rest of you... I know nothing, or at least
nothing current.

Don't be afraid to talk. If you have problems, concerns, or just want
someone to talk to, talk to someone. If you're stuck for someone, come
find me. Sometimes a fresh mind on the problem can give an unexpected
answer, if it doesn't, what have you lost? Two places to start are Skype
(ktetch) and IRC (I'm in the channels of most of the parties, look for
K`Tetch). Just realise, you're not alone

By the same token, stop and take a breath before answering an email.
Some of us are getting tense, worried, frustrated, stressed etc; rash
it as practice again, this time, imagine you're dealing with the press,
or that they are going to be reading the email you send out as well.
They will try and rattle you, goad you, make you stressed (with 'gotcha'
questions) so use those kinds of emails, as we've regrettably seen a
number of times the past week, as practice for dealing with those sorts
of interviews. Take a second, compose yourself, and be professional.

Above all, relax. We're all on the same side here. We all want the same
things. If we're busy fighting each other, how can we beat our
opponents? There is nothing to be gained by ripping each other down,
except we weaken ourselves. Our goal is (or was) 19 seats over 5
countries. It's not a race to see who can get most seats. 19-5 is
entirely possible, but the hard number is NOT the 19, it's the 5. What
works in Sweden, may not work in Spain - it might even work against us
there. I don't know what works in either of those two countries, any
more than Portugal or Poland, Italy or Ireland. I know the UK, and I
know the US. I've spent 5 years each dabbling in politics in both, and
despite the two countries being relatively similar, just the style of
election means that campaigns are radically different.

Andrew