[pp.int.general] Working for EU elections

Valentin Villenave v.villenave at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 12:23:11 CET 2008

2008/11/10 Andrew Norton <andrew.norton at pirate-party.us>:

> Don't be afraid to talk. If you have problems, concerns, or just want
> someone to talk to, talk to someone. If you're stuck for someone, come
> find me. Sometimes a fresh mind on the problem can give an unexpected
> answer, if it doesn't, what have you lost? Two places to start are Skype
> (ktetch) and IRC (I'm in the channels of most of the parties, look for
> K`Tetch). Just realise, you're not alone

Since I'm not alone, I hope you won't mind if i take this chance to
ask a trivial question :-)

Here goes.

I've been reading extensively the 07/07/1977 French law that states
how European Parliament representatives are elected, but there's one
crucial detail I can't find anywhere:

some EU countries are split in several constituencies, such as France
or Italy (as you can see below):
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/members.do?language=en

Which is good news for us Frenchies, since we do not have enough
candidates for the whole country but we may have enough candidates for
one single constituency.

However, this could only be possible if citizens are allowed to be
candidates in another constituency than the one they live in. Our PP
members are dispatched on the whole French territory, and our only
chance to take part in this election would be if we could gather all
members in one single list, in one single constituency.

I know that election rules are quite different from one country to
another, but would any of you guys, by any chance, have a clue about
this issue?

Cheers,
Valentin