[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: Finally, amendments showdown

Andrew Norton andrew.norton at pirate-party.us
Tue Nov 11 16:25:21 CET 2008

Mirco da Silva wrote:
> Christian Hufgard schrieb:
>> Zitat von Mirco da Silva <mirco.da.silva at piracy-international.org>:

>>> Look into history.
>>> Pirates never obeyed to the laws of any state.
>>>
>> Except those, who had letters of marque and were nothing more than
>> sailing mercenaries.
>>

> Me talking about glorious pirates not scurvy privateers.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates
> Do ye homework, landlubber.

You should too. 1) I don't consider wikipedia a reliable source for
anything, certainly not definitions.
2) I was talking with Carlos last night, and we got onto Spanish
political history (specifically Franco). I noted that I knew nothing
about Franco, and that the only time spain really came up in my history
classes (which went to the johannasburg riots in the 70s) was Francis
Drake and the armarda. What I didn't know until last night, is that Vice
Admiral Drake (el Draco) is considered a pirate in spain. He not only
had a letter of marque, he was a flag officer in the royal navy.

The term 'pirate' is one thats never been definable, because it depends
on the circumstances, and conveys a connotation, an insinuation, not an
ideology, or political ethos.

we have this chanceto make the definition ourselves, lets not waste it.

andrew