[pp.int.general] Stances on different ideologies (was: Current state of Piratenpartei Deutschland in general)

Richard M. Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Nov 11 23:12:11 CET 2008

    The seeds for that
    ideology were sown many years before Rick founded the first Pirate
    Party, back when the Open Source movement was born,

Are you thinking about 1983, when I founded the free software
movement?  Or are you thinking about 1998, when open source split off
from the free software movement?

The free software movement aims to win freedom for computer users,
based on ethical ideas similar to those of the pirate party.

The whole point of open source was to STOP talking about freedom and
stop criticizing proprietary software in ethical terms.  (As a
consequence, open source is not really a movement in the same sense.)

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html for more
explanation about the difference between the two.

It would seem to me that the Pirate Party is closer at heart
to the free software movement than to open source.