[pp.int.general] A small note from the BOFH. Please read.

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Thu Nov 13 10:54:59 CET 2008

De: Rickard Olsson <rickard.olsson at piratpartiet.se>
Enviado: jueves, 13 de noviembre, 2008 8:15:05
> As administrator of this list, I whole-heartedly concur with Anton's suggestions and will add that
> while I have never done so in the past, it is within my power to remove users from the list if I
> deem them to disrupt the list too much. There are also technical means for moderating
> the list if needed. As we are all (hopefully) reasonable people, I trust this shall not become
> necessary.
>
> We want to encourage a spirited discussion and have allowed a lot in the past, but this is a list
> for general talk, not trolling or fighting. Take it outside. There will be no more warnings

While I agree with taking measures against trolling, I wholeheartedly disagree with -said in legal jargon- ex ante measures like moderating the list.

Are going troll-like attitudes to be the normal things, or rather exceptional? If it's going to be normal, we should rather get entrenched xD however, if it's going to be exceptional, instead of moderating the list, it would require simply to punish -ban- the troll users according to a netiquette agreed by all. Maybe a first, temporary ban -few hours, few days- as a warning, and a permanent ban if the troll's attitude doesn't disappear.

We in PIRATA had moderation for our blog's comments and we removed the moderation; we have moderation in our mail lists only for outside (sent by people not being list members) mails; and we have had only twice to take measures against troll users. As I said, I disagree with moderation being the solution. Regards,

                                                                    Carlos Ayala
                                                                     ( Aiarakoa )

                                             Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman