[pp.int.general] Working for EU elections

Mårten Fjällström marten.fjallstrom at piratpartiet.se
Thu Nov 13 20:09:59 CET 2008

> 2008/11/11 Gagis <wildfinn at gmail.com>:
>
>> Anyone from any part of EU seems to be able to participate as a
>> representative of any area, but they can only be voted for from that
>> area.
>
> Huh, that changes /everything/.
>
> This means that any PP which hasn't enough candidates may ask to other
> PPs to borrow some additional names for its list!
>
> Guys, we HAVE to make our lists mutual.
>
> (not only in a political sense: this would allow us parties to know
> each other much better, and to emphasize that Pirate ideals are about
> sharing without borders :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Valentin

For the swedish EP-election the following applies for candidates:
* Must be 18 years old
* Is swedish citizen (anywhere in the world) or is or has been living in
Sweden
* Is citizen in a different EU country and is living in Sweden
* Additional demands - may not be member of swedish parliament, may have
certain jobs within the EU

Living in is defined as registered as inhabitant with the tax authority.

Links in swedish to swedish election authority:
http://www.val.se/for_partier/kandidater/index.html
http://www.val.se/valsystemet/grunder/rostratt/index.html

The first 3 appears to be nationally decided and the last one appears to
be EU-rule, though appearances are uncertain. So we in Sweden could
include swedish citizens in France, or french citizens in Sweden, but not
french citizens in France on our list (if they did not use to live in
Sweden).

I seriously recommend calling the election authority in France to sort out
what rules you have for party registration and candidates.

while on this topic, I would also like to point out the excellent site
pp-de has put up to collect signatures:
http://ich.waehlepiraten.de/
linked very cleverly (X signatures to go) from http://www.piratenpartei.de/

/Mårten Fjällström