[pp.int.general] Working for EU elections

Jens Seipenbusch seipenbusch at web.de
Fri Nov 14 12:12:37 CET 2008

Hi all,

i have some good and some bad news from germany regarding the european
elections.
In fact we are quite advanced in the formal progress, so we already have
officially determined the candidates of the german party
(https://wiki.piratenpartei.de/Europawahl_2009#Gemeinsame_Liste_zur_Europawahl_f.C3.BCr_alle_Bundesl.C3.A4nder)
and also are preparing the official european election platform (which to
 my regret will contain some non-core issues probably) with a
preliminary deadline around christmas.
Additionally we have the benefit of being able to collect signatures for
both the european election in June 2009 and the national elections in
fall 2009 simultaneously.
Both counters can be seen on http://www.piratenpartei.de/ (i learned the
importance of such counters from sweden, so thx goes there :-) )

The bad news is, that we in germany indeed have the so called '5%-Hürde'
(is it 5 percent barrier in english?) also at the european election.
This severly challenges the calculation of 19by5 which we made in
Uppsala, where i wasnt sure, if that was the fact or not.
Still an additional goal fur us is to reach 0.5% of votes in european
election since thats the number you need to get refunding for the campaign.

best regards,
--
Jens Seipenbusch
vice chairman