[pp.int.general] Website for jointly campaigning for the EU Election

Sun Nov 16 21:08:06 CET 2008

Am Sunday 16 November 2008 20:10:45 schrieb Carlos Ayala:
> I've seen this section at the international wiki and I was amazed it was
> empty :-O Guess one of the reasons if the lack of a PPI's IT Group working
> in the development of joint tools -or the adaption of already-existing
> national tools for PPI usage (i.e.: to be used by all pirate parties)-; it
> was agreed in Beriln to build that IT Group, hope we finally make it.
That is a good idea but I doubt our IT-people would like to join the group
since most of them don't have the time to do any aditional work.

I would of course be willing to participate but my knowledge does not extend
beyound some basic HTML and php (never wrote anything myself, just adapted
already existing things) and the usage of some standard software.
> First of all, we need to find a domain name; so we should think about it
> -maybe pirate2009.com, piratestobrussels.com, piratestostrasbourg.com ...
> sky is the limit for our imagination :)- and book it.
Don't forget we still have the pirateparty.eu (registered by me) and
pirate-party.eu (registered by another German pirate) domains. Since we
didn't found an european party yet and it doesn't seem to happen before the
elections we could use these domains either as primary or secondary domains
for our campaign.

However, if we are going to register any additional domains I suggest to use
either .eu or .org. Both of them are not that expensive and would fit the
purpose better imho. Hey, why don't we use change-eu.org or something like
that ;).
> Second, about ideas for the web site ... what about taking inspiration from
> what already worked? Also, Obama's campaign page proved that darker
> websites also work, so as our primary colors are black & white -just look
> at the logo- I would suggest using black as background.
I wouldn't exclude that option from the beginning but I'm quite sceptical
about it. I think we need to see some examples to make decisions like that.
> Third, as we all are in our homework trying to collect signatures in order
> to be allow to concur, there would may be a centralized signatures display
> for all pirate parties, linking to our national websites -or even including
> the info from our websites in the joint website, in order to avoid
> dispersion of visitors, keeping them in the joint website-.
If every participating party offers the possibility to extract the current
count through rss or something like that that should be possible.
> If we agree to work in this, we should start right now by creating the
> group -essentially, committing to attend to the group sessions (personally
> or appointing substitutes for those sessions where someone is unable to
> attend) and committing to effectively behave as a proxy (report the group
> about national party's decisions, and report the national party about
> group's decisions, in order to avoid misunderstoods)-, just to be able to
> have the website ready -the best option, to announce it at Helsinki- or
> almost ready. Do you agree with this? Yes? No? Suggestions? Objections?
> Participation is the key, and Andrew will need all our help. Regards,
In general I would agree with everything. However, I think we should keep one
thing in mind. Group sessions are nice but senseless if work is only done
before and after them. We need to make sure that there is a constant flow of
information between the participants both to motivate them and keep them
up-to-date about the others' work. Of course I would be willing to
participate in that group.

regards
Helmut