[pp.int.general] Open Source Hardware Project

Glenn Kerbein glenn.kerbein at pirate-party.us
Tue Nov 18 20:18:18 CET 2008

In regards to the Open Hardware idea, there are a few projects that have
already done this sort of thing.
Namely the OpenMoko portable media phone/device is completely open;
everything from the source down to the hardware specifcations. The Google
Android sort of accomplishes this, but it is not completely open, only the
software is.
The OLPC is almost completely open, the only hardware portion that is open
is their power adapter.

There's also coreboot, which replaces most hardware vendor's BIOS with an
open source one.

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Mårten Fjällström <
marten.fjallstrom at piratpartiet.se> wrote:

> Hi,
>  from the PP-SE forum:
>
> ---
>
> I am considering planning an event in the UK to launch an Open Source
> Hardware Project that I've started online
> ( http://we.riseup.net/opensourcehardware )
>
> Was looking for the UK Pirate Party website with no luck,
>
> So I am putiting a callout here for anyone who would interested on talking
> about the Pirate Party at such an event,
>
> I am currently based In Edinburgh Scotland, Chances are just now this
> event will take place in Edinburgh or Glasgow,
>
> You can email me regarding this at cinemaparadiso at riseup.net
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> ---
>
> even though PP-UK looks abandoned, maybe there is someone in the vicinity
> of Scotland on this list.
>
> Regards,
> Mårten Fjällström

Glenn Kerbein