[pp.int.general] Telecom package voting today thursday

Ole Husgaard pirat at sparre.dk
Thu Nov 27 00:57:22 CET 2008

Hi,

Today the EU Council of ministers are meeting to pass their proposal of
the telecom package.

Both amendments 138 and 166, which were passed by Parliament, have been
removed, making it possible to censor the net and cut off people from it
without juducial oversight.

In Denmark, local pressure to ensure this would not be passed became
void after a minister of our government lied to our parliament, saying
that amendment 138 was still present.

Most likely this is going to be passed as a A-point (ie. without
discussion or a vote).

Tere are still strong rumors that they will try to avoid this going back
to the Parliament for a second reading, despite the major changes.

I have done a poorly written draft of a press release here:
http://int.piratenpartei.de/Telecom_Package_press_release_draft

Please remember: Time is important when we react to events like this.
Please act fast, as soon as they have passed the proposal.

This can give us a lot of positive publicity, if we remember to include
the text of these two amendments in the press release. From the text
alone it is obvious that something is horribly wrong.

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.