[pp.int.general] Telecom package voting today thursday

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Thu Nov 27 02:00:54 CET 2008

De: Ole Husgaard <pirat at sparre.dk>
Enviado: jueves, 27 de noviembre, 2008 0:57:22
> Today the EU Council of ministers are meeting to pass their proposal of the telecom package.

> I have done a poorly written draft of a press release here:
> http://int.piratenpartei.de/Telecom_Package_press_release_draft
>
> Please remember: Time is important when we react to events like this.
> Please act fast, as soon as they have passed the proposal.
>
> This can give us a lot of positive publicity, if we remember to include the text of these two
> amendments in the press release. From the text alone it is obvious that something is horribly
> wrong.

As I said tonight at IRC, Telecom Package is so huge, so complex, that I find impossible to release a press note analyzing it properly -i.e., analyzing not only its threats to our rights and libertes, but also how it affects competitiveness in the Telecom market, etc-.

If Amendments 138 -in fact, not Bono Amendment but Trautmann re-Amendment- and 166 are dropped by the Council, a Second Reading in Europarliament would be done; thus, apart from a mere press release denouncing just the rights & liberties issues, I think that the best thing we can do is to get both documents of Europarliament's First Reading and of Council's decision, and prepare a deep analysis of which texts would reach Europarliament in Second Reading

> Both amendments 138 and 166, which were passed by Parliament, have been removed, making it
> possible to censor the net and cut off people from it without juducial oversight.
>
> In Denmark, local pressure to ensure this would not be passed became void after a minister of our
> government lied to our parliament, saying that amendment 138 was still present.

Watch out! Amendment 138 is a bad one; it's true that not having it is even worse, however having it is not the solution; the solution would be only an amendment which totally forbids any kind of censorship without prior warrant; otherwise, having Amendment 138 passed would be like losing one arm while not having it would be like losing both arms and both legs. Yes, it's true: the second choice is worse than the first one; however, ¿why do we have to lose one arm-i.e., to have censorship without prior warrant authorized in cases where governments state that public security may be compromised/endangered-?

> Tere are still strong rumors that they will try to avoid this going back to the Parliament for a
> second reading, despite the major changes.

They may try though I think they wouldn't be able. If they achieve it, of course we should release a quick press release; however, otherwise, I recommend to focus on prepare a PPI campaign aimed to that Second Reading -as if tomorrow the text is going to be voted-, there is not enough time to make the whole thing-. Regards,

                                                             Carlos Ayala
                                                             ( Aiarakoa )

                                         Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman