[pp.int.general] US congress approves RIAA-friendly, citizen-threatening s.3325 bill

Valentin Villenave v.villenave at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 17:27:07 CEST 2008

2008/10/2 Andrew Norton <andrew.norton at pirate-party.us>:

> Not exactly true. Title I of the bill (the DOJ prosecution part) was
> removed from the bill before it passed the Senate. Also, the DOJ and the
> Department of commerce both wrote to the bills sponsors last week,
> objecting to title I and Title IV the 'copyright Czar'). Their objection
> to title IV was on constitutional grounds. Basically the executive
> branch doesn't want an executive positiopn like this, that is controlled
> by the senate, or vice versa - its a seperation of powers thing. So,
> there's a strong chance of a veto.

I Andrew,
your explanations are welcome.

(In France (particularly with the current government), laws that are
not quite compatible with our constitution are frequently voted
without any difficulty; as for the separation of powers, well,
nowadays...)

Is the new bill really less harmful? Still harmful in some way? Who
gets to decide if it's admitted or vetoed? What does it take a bill to
become a law?

Cheers,
Valentin