[pp.int.general] GNU/Linux-powered voting machines in Brazil

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Fri Oct 3 16:30:45 CEST 2008

----- Mensaje original ----
De: Félix Robles <redeadlink at gmail.com>
Enviado: viernes, 3 de octubre, 2008 15:55:23
> I don't trust voting machines at all, even if they have libre software inside. It's way more secure
> against rigged elections to get people to manually count the votes. Every person knows how to
> make sure that a manually counted election is not stolen, but one must be an expert in order to
> make sure an electronic voting election is not rigged

No agreement on that; as RMS said, Free Software in voting machines is required, though not enough, to prevent fraud in electronic voting elections; the thing is that there are mechanisms to effectively prevent that fraud -using mechanisms from traditional voting system, together with isolating the voting machines during the process, checking its software, testing the machine, etc-.

Of course we can conclude that today's electronic voting machines don't meet such requirements and, thus, are not trustable. Regards