[pp.int.general] how do you feel about net neutrality?

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 22:11:14 CEST 2008

2008/9/5 Carlos Ayala <aiarakoa at yahoo.es>:
> [...]

Yes. But the issue at hand was not monopolies, but whether or not
private enterprises and therefore "private interests" own the network
infrastructure and thereby the net.

> - as long as a person is not allowed to hit people with a car, no matter if
> it's a car of his/her own, an ISP/State is not allowed to invade their
> users' privacy, no matter whether that ISP/State has fully paid the net
> infrastructures or not

Of course they can. The state can't invade the privacy as easily
though - it tends to make voters and citizens very grumpy.

But for a private enterprise, they can just put in their end-user
agreement that they'll be allowed to do so and so, and then claim it
was the user's free choice that led to them being surveilled. And
unless you want to remove the freedom for citizens to partake in
business deals, that's a very difficult practise to get rid of. (for
the record - I think the practise is bad and should be regulated)

/amelia