[pp.int.general] how do you feel about net neutrality?

Richard M. Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sat Sep 6 23:04:34 CEST 2008

    Of course they can. The state can't invade the privacy as easily
    though - it tends to make voters and citizens very grumpy.

That is true only when democracy is healthy.
Democracy is very sick in the world today:
The US, the UK and China are exploring the frontiers
of surveillance, and they respond to opposition by distracting
people with "terrorists".  (We are supposed to worry only
about the terrorists that are not state-sponsored.)

I think all systematic use of computers to record information about
people or their actions or movements should be strictly limited,
including surveillance by private organizations and surveillance by
the state.  If police wish to do additional surveillance, they should
have to get a court order permitting surveillance of specified individuals.