[pp.int.general] how do you feel about net neutrality?

Ole Husgaard pirat at sparre.dk
Sat Sep 6 22:40:05 CEST 2008

Hi,

We should be careful not to confuse the lack of network neutrality with
the use of QoS. Unfortunately the terms are easily confused, as QoS
technology is used to violate network neutrality. But QoS - if mandated
by the customer, or market demands - is good. For example, I don't mind
if QoS being used to ensure that my VoIP calls are good even though
everybody (myself included) is trying to use all available bandwith to
do file sharing.

The discussion about QoS started in markets where there is a lack of
competition. In such markets it makes sense to look for extra revenue by
demanding web service providers to pay to avoid their services being
downprioritized. But in a free market, customers will move away from
ISPs who try to do that.

So IMHO we should reject any request for not having network neutrality,
and treat such requests as a problem with free competition in what is
supposed to be a free market.

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.