[pp.int.general] Free french Compil' Pirate Vol.2 online

Valentin Villenave v.villenave at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 17:17:16 CEST 2009

2009/4/9 Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) <rick at piratpartiet.se>:
> Hi Valentin,
>
> I'm just curious -- why did we read about the defeat of the HADOPI law
> in Swedish media, and not hear it from you?

Hi Rick, nice to hear from you!

Well, when we received the information (just after the vote took
place, and minutes after we had released our CD) at first I could
hardly believe it, and since there were *no* reliable sources on the
Internet to back it up yet (at least on the French internet), I
couldn't take it seriously. It was only one moment afterwards that it
seemed to be accurate, which is why I mentioned it in the discussion
with Evgeny.

That being said, it's too early to be optimistic and call it a defeat;
whenever our Parliament votes something that goes against the
Government's decisions, they are good at finding ways to override it.
(It's kind of the same tactics that "oh, look, the Irish voted against
the EU treaty... no problem, let's just make them vote again until
they agree with us!")
Let me remind you that in late 2005, as well as a couple weeks ago,
our parliament voted "global licence" amendments that merely
recognized the right for citizens to download whatever they want for a
fee... And these amendments were rapidly burried and forgotten :-(

I don't know if other countries are as lazy as us, but such
"incidents" happen mostly when there are very few MPs in the
parliament: the first time HADOPI was voted, a few days ago, there
were only 16 MPs attending; this time it has been rejected by 21 to 15
votes... out of 577 MPs! So, this is actually more a proof that (for
once) Sarkozy's troops were even lazier than the opposition party; I'm
not sure whether it will really mean a difference or not in weeks to
come.

Regards,
Valentin