[pp.int.general] Pirate Bay

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Apr 22 10:31:09 CEST 2009

Very useful comment! Where law and such practical considerations may
conflict is the implied presumption of copyright enforcers and collecting
society that every author wants to make money from his copyright and opposes
free distribution.
I heard of musicians playing at charity concerts who had to pay the money
back themselves because it was collected anyway "by default".

Very strange: a major Dutch newspaper recently reported that if you watch TV
via cable (99% in NL), you pay yourself for TV commercials, because the law
says that cable relay = new publication in the sens of copyright law, and
commercials are object of copyright. The logic of collection sociaties does
not allow to acknowledge that advertisers typically want as wide a spread of
their message as possible, and are supposed to pay their advertising
agencies for unlimited distribution ...

Why don't artists protest because TPB verdict hurts them in their ambition
to become widely known? It is a violation of information freedom (10 ECHR).