[pp.int.general] Let us organize a study session!

Philip Hunt cabalamat at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 3 12:23:45 CEST 2009

2009/8/3 gabriel luis <g.luisfranchy at gmail.com>:
> What about being a true
> borderless party? Is it pure utopia?

In my opinion, yes.

What is PP for? Its purpose is to get into power so we can change bad
laws (e.g. those relating to copyright and patents). We can't get into
power except by winning elections. And elections are usually on a
national of sub-national basis. (Even the European parliament, the
most important directly elected multinational body, is elected based
on national borders).

Humans are organised today in a number of countries, which control
fixed territories with borders. This is reality and we cannot ignore
it. Therefore Pirate Parties are inevitably going to be organised on a
mostly national basis. Having said that, they can (and should) still
co-operate with each other. And as Pirates gain power throughout the
world, we'll be able to help one another. But there's never going to
be a central Pirate organisation that tells all the Pirate Parties
worldwide what to do.

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at googlemail.com>
Campaigns Officer / Press Officer, Pirate Party UK