[pp.int.general] patents for seeds

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sat Aug 15 13:26:39 CEST 2009

> Ironically, they also spend the better part of one chapter complaining
> that scientists and researchers don't bother with getting licenses
> _or_ patenting their inventions to any larger extent.
This may be related to the Bayh-Dole act, which is a disaster, but still
occasionally is praised as a success. The essence is that universities
should not operate like a kind of (commercial) firms, but foster their
essential purpose (which is teaching and basic research imho). Bayh-Dole (in
force since 1980) has changed university life dramatically in the US.
Incidentally, it is like patents for SMEs. Generally a disaster, but there
is the odd exception that confirms the rule. A cousin of mine is married to
a (now retired) professor in experimental cardiology (Cees Borst) who made a
lot of money by patenting "stents" and other equipment for heart disease
treatment (like a device called octopus that allows operations on a beating
heart). He invested the money again into his research department, which was
fortunate because the (government) funds granted to university research are
limited. I guess it is a success story because he was "on the right end" -
he did not have to obtain licences from others.

> For those of you who read Dutch I can cut&paste the articles.
>

> Please do!

Swedish is still quite different from Dutch ... hope Google can translate
it - here you go: (incidentally, it refers to plantum.nl website of the
(opposing!) Dutch breeders association which has a section in English)

       tekst versie |  originele versie |  print versie

 Print dit artikel